The Biggest Boat on the Tonle Sap Lake
At over 41 metres in length, with a 120ft steel haul and weighing in at over 100 dry tonnes, the Tara is the biggest boat on the Tonle Sap Lake. Known locally as the ‘Freedom Boat’, it was originally used for the Cambodia-Vietnam run, and is capable of carrying more than 250 people.
The Grand old Tara Riverboat, was built in 1927.The Tara has a rich history and she has seen a lot of different changes over the years. She was built from 8mm steel for her haul and has steel columns and strong hard wood for her deckings. She can carry over 250 tones and was originally built as a cargo vessel Travelling from Vietnam to Cambodia via the Mekong and Tonle Sap rivers. Built with a flat haul and able to travel in less than 1.5 metres of water,making her ideal for the shallow rivers and lakes she had to transverse at times. The Tara has had a rich and varied history. From 1927 to 1964 she was a cargo boat,carrying much needed supplies into Cambodia and along the rivers and lakes.Between 1964 to 1979 she was a hospital boat then from 1979 to 1999 she was a passenger boat/cargo boat from Vietnam to Siem Reap. After that in 1999 to 2005 she was converted to a floating guesthouse on the Tonle Sap Lake. Since 2005 we have proudly owned her operating now as a Restaurant and Bar anchored on the great Tonle Sap Lake near Siem Reap for our customers to enjoy.
Comfort & Luxury on the Tonle Sap
With a viewing deck, comfortable seating, hammocks, a bar, a large dining area and multiple toilets / bathrooms – the Tara offers a level of comfort and luxury which other boats on the Tonle Sap cannot begin to rival. Get your photo taken at the captain’s bridge or wave at other tour groups as they drive by on their rickety boats, whilst you sip from a cold beer in a comfy chair, enjoying the stunning views that the Tonle Sap has to offer. The Tara Riverboat awaits your inspection and the captain welcomes you aboard.
Food Fit for a King
Our tour guides are experienced and knowledgeable, and our drivers, waitresses & captain are all friendly and professional. We offer a wide range of Western and Khmer dishes aboard. It is food fit for a king, and it is all included in your tour price. We also have beers, cocktails, soft drinks, water and numerous spirits available on the Tara. Read our menu for more information.
Tara – Available for Hire!
Are you a tour agent with a very large group of important customers? An employer looking to motivate the team with a staff party they will never forget? A newly wed couple wanting to kick off your life together in a truly stunning location? If so, look no further than the Tara Boat. The Tara is capable of carrying more than 250 people, and is available for hire for private functions upon request. Enjoy a big buffet dinner then kick aside the tables and chairs and dance away to a live musician. Contact us for more information on booking the Tara for private functions.
Why Use Tara Tours?
There are many reasons we feel we are unique in siem reap and conducting local tours is all we do:
- Tara riverboat company owns all our own equipment, this ensures we can control the quality, safety and thus welfare of all our customers
- ALL OUR staff are full time long term committed employees, they share our joint passion for conducting the most professional and fun tours possible.
- All our staff are local people, and many were born in the villages you will tour giving an expert insight.
- We focus on education, training and sustainable tourism. In fact we have set up many environmental projects and our current project is water filtration systems for villages we visit, through our educational and awareness programs and supporting local businesses and suppliers doing the same
- We conserve resources whereever possible, through, but not limited to recycling, fuel saving, sustainable development by way of engineering solutions, rather than burning of forests and other materials, e.g. Our boat are now converted to solar power replacing Fuel burning generator
- Giving back programs. Our commitment has and always will be that the Tara riverboat company, as a local company, sets aside 10% of all profits to be used in helping the local villages in sustainable resources
- We are a small specialised company promoting best practice and the management and all staff are only focused on your enjoyment and safety
- We are a registered, licensed company fully compliant with travel insurance, advisory and safety guidelines
- We understand that for a company to succeed we require well priced, fun and hopefully education tours, we specialise in small groups from one person up. Nothing is more important to us than your safety and enjoyment. We do not run 30 different tours as we do not farm out our customers. We only run the tours we are specialising in running.
- All boats proudly using sustainable and environmentally friendly Biodiesel www.nagabiofuels.org
To ensure that each and every customer has a safe,enjoyable and unique travel experience... to promote best practice and sustainability through training and education of our most valuable asset..our employees.
Where is the Tara?
The Tara is located on the edge of the Great Tonle Sap Lake, a short boat ride from the port of Chong Khneas. Chong Khneas is less than 15km from Siem Reap – which is in the Northwest of Cambodia. You don’t have to worry about finding us though – we offer free air-conditioned pickup from your Hotel or Guest House in Siem Reap!
Tara Boat Tonle Sap Lake Tours from Siem Reap, Cambodia: